Old November 27th 06, 01:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Roy Smith

Default Did I violate an FAR?

Anonymous coward #673 wrote:

Anonymous cowards are only allowed to post on slashdot :-)

The other day I was under the hood with a safety pilot, but I was not
IFR current. I requested a "practice approach in VFR conditions" and
was cleared for an actual approach. I advised ATC that I just wanted a
practice approach and they said, "We have to put you in the system for
[some cockamamie reason that I can no longer recall -- spacing or
something like that]." So I ended up flying the approach in VFR
conditions but under an actual IFR clearance even though I was not
instrument current. Did I violate an FAR? If so, what should I have
done instead?

First off, if you were not current (and neither was your buddy), then it
was illegal to accept an IFR clearance.

That being said, are you sure you were given an IFR clearance? Did the
controller say "cleared to the XXX airport"? Unless you are cleared TO
someplace, it's not IFR.

More than likely, your clearance was something like "Cleared XYZ approach,
maintain VFR at all times". He's providing your IFR separation, but you're
operating under VFR (i.e. must maintain VFR weather minimia).

If you really thought the controller was giving you an IFR clearance, you
should have said, "Unable IFR, I need to do this under VFR".