Old September 24th 03, 02:10 PM
Rocky

rotorcfiwannabe wrote in message . net...
Question for you experts out there...

I am a fixed wing pilot with 1000+ TT, MEI, CFII, CFI

I have a couple of hours helicopter time. I would like to eventually
get my rotorcraft CFI rating. I understand this would require getting
my rotorcraft add on.

1) What is the best way of getting from where I am now to a rotor CFI ?
(by best I mean cheapest)

2) Do I go direct to Commercial rotorcraft or do I have to get Private
rotorcraft ?

3) Do I do a ride for the rotorcraft CFI ?

4) Is there a good school where I can get all of these ratings quickly
and efficiently in an intensive training program ? I don't want to do a
couple of hours a month.

5) Any guesses as to costs ? $$$ ?

6) Does anybody anywhere rent a helicopter anymore, or is it just dual
instruction ?

7) Does it make more economic sense for me to buy a used Hughes 269 and
train in it, then sell it when I am done training ?

I am not doing this as a career, just because I love helicopters.

thanks in advance for the help !

There is no cheap way to achieve your goals and when you finally do
you are in for a huge disappointment. If you want to restrict yourself
to just rotorcraft as a CFI you'll find students are a rarity unless
you work for a school that does extensive advertising and sales. Most
of them hire their own students as both a money saver (which drives
the world) and as part of their sales pitch to find the student
immediate employment in helicopter work.
Yes I am jaded big time. I've got more than 21,000 hours in the
logbooks and no idea how much isn't in them. I've had my rotor CFI
since the very early 70's and have given perhaps a thousand hours of
basic and advanced rotor training like in crop dusting and more than
8000 hours in rotorcraft? Yet, in todays atmosphere of insurance
nightmares and litigation, I am not "qualified" to give dual in a
private owners helicopter unless I have been to the approved factory
school. When I asked if a brand new 200 hour pilot who had attended a
factory school was more qualified than I was with more than a thousand
hours in type, I was told, "You must attend a factory school for us to
insure you". No ifs buts or ands.