Old February 4th 21, 10:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default Curious about PZL KWEC-2 TE compensators

On Thu, 04 Feb 2021 12:30:04 -0800, John Sinclair wrote:

The Borgelt has a backup 9v battery, in case you loose ships
power............this feature brought me home one day after complete
electrical failure. That’s when I discovered I really needed a audio
vario to thermal.
JJ

I use an SDI C4 as my main vario and a Borgelt B.40 for backup. Both are
pressure sensing electric vario, so don't use capacity falsks and don't
interfere with each other despite the TE line only forking about 1 foot
(30cm) away from the varios.

JJ is right about the Borgelt varios: I'd hate to be without my B.40. It
will run for 8-12 hours of a PP3 9V battery, though both varios are
normally powered off a 12v SLA - SDI C4 doesn't have a back up battery,
so my backup 'get home' system is the B.40 and my Medion PDA, which runs
LK8000 and has an internal battery.

Bottom line: if you need a second vario and somebody offers you a B.40,
grab it with both hands. It also very good for ridge running.

Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org