Old November 18th 07, 05:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

Default Identifying the other guy

it.

Perhaps Hartley or some of the other posters have tried both and can
add?

Bagger

Here in the USA, they not only fly high tow, but require the glider to
make a right turn off release. Why do they do everything backwards?
They even drive on the wrong side of the road here!

Anyway.....

They also fly low tow in South Africa where I did all my early flying
and I have to say I have always preferred it. There are just too many
accidents where the glider gets too high on tow and the towplane can't
recover, which is much less likely to occur on low tow.

Having said that, I prefer to be in low tow of my own volition and not
because I am so slow that I have lost elevator control. Below 65
knots, my fully-ballasted Discus 2 gets very wallowy and at 60 is
unable to maintain high tow.

As others have said, it's essential that the towplane and glider pilot
agree on speed, signals and maneuvers. I wouldn't want to be towed
too fast in a lightweight fragile wooden ship just as much as I hate
slow tows in fast glass.

Mike