Old July 7th 03, 06:19 PM
me

"RLB" wrote in message ...
I don't know about that. If I remember correctly from the National
Geographic presentation, half the reason they retired their 707 was because
it couldn't carry all the people they wanted to carry comfortably. Not to
mention, I doubt you could turn a 20 passenger jet into the mobile White
House like the current jet. They also have two of them that don't fly much
and will probably be around for many many years to come. I'm willing to bet
the next Airforce One will be an aircraft that's not even on the drawling
board yet.

It will probably be 50+ years before replacements are in order.
Could be longer than that. By then, it will depend entirely upon
what existing airframes are available. It is possible that it
could be an airframe designed for that purpose. More likely
it could be an airframe intended to replace the C-5/C-17 class
of aircraft.

"Montblack" wrote in message
.. .
Wrong (IMHO).

The next AF1 will be small and VERY fast. 20 people, tops!

This isn't all that far afield, depending upon the direction
that the aircraft industry in general goes.

New sonic boom resistant designs, etc.

Mach 2+ a minimum to enter the bidding.

[snip]

Might be a tad fast, but Mach 1+ might be
a consideration.