Old June 19th 04, 06:12 PM
Ed Rasimus

On 19 Jun 2004 03:39:49 GMT, (BUFDRVR) wrote:

Ragnar wrote:

Then we've been in different "real Air Forces".

I'm puzzled. Granted, I'm relatively "new" in the big scheme of things, but I
can recall squadron, group and yes wing commanders leading flights in nearly
every conflict since the birth of an independant Air Force. LeMay, as Group
commander led his group in its part in the Scweinfurt-Regensberg mission, so it
appears senior leaders have been leading combat strikes since at least WWII.
Billy Mitchell flew in the St. Mihel offensive, and he was the second ranking
U.S. aviator in France. I'm not doubting your experience, just curious as to
what time period we're comparing here?

BUFDRVR

I've seen it work both ways. Most assuredly there was a lot of
leadership by commanders during Rolling Thunder--guys like Robin Olds,
Bob Scott, Jack Broughton, Robbie Risner, etc, led strike packages.
But, there also were instances of wing CC's, DO's, etc, that
recognized that they lacked the skills or the time to properly prepare
a mission, so they flew wing. I never disparaged a commander with
that judgement.

Squadron CC's absolutely must fly in a leadership role, but sadly they
often don't. We've probably both seen good ones and bad ones.

The modern force increasingly seems to have a mix of careerists and
warriors. The careerists know the ins and outs of political maneuver
to eventually rise to the highest ranks. The warriors have other
priorities and different ethical standards. At some point you make
your choice of which path to follow.

A few, unfortunately too few, can be both--politically astute and
combat effective. Guys like Joe Ralston, Jack Chain, Chuck Horner,
Chuck Gabriel, etc.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"