Old July 9th 03, 04:58 PM
Ryan Ferguson

It should be a method you can use without thinking. There's no hold 'entry,'
you just fly to the fix or navaid, turn to the outbound heading (regardless of
which direction you're coming from - let's hope that if it's a direct entry
you were able to puzzle that out, though), and focus intently on whether to
turn RIGHT or LEFT when your minute (assuming 1-minute legs) is up. Now fly
back to the fix and voila, you're established.

-Ryan
CFI-ASE-AME, CFI-RH, CP-ASMEL-IA, CP-RH, AGI

Sydney Hoeltzli wrote:

Dan Luke wrote:
"Ryan Ferguson" wrote:
To Dan's credit, the 'when all else fails' method of hold entry is fine.
It works when you can't think straight...

Heyyyy...!

"Don't Think. You only hurt the team."
-Bull Durham

Sydney

PS I tried drawing a few holding pattern entries by my interpretation
of the method you describe, and I'm afraid I can't make them come
out equivalent to T/P/D. Especially acute on the teardrop region.
Unless I'm mistaking what you wrote, most of them come out to be
P-ish which seems to me hardest to get established inbound, esp.
if there's much xwind blowing you towards the holding pattern side.
I dunno. It just seems to require more thought than just doing the
"correct" entry, hmmmmmm, which way do I turn towards the inbound
course, decisions decisions. Maybe I don't "get it"?