Old October 12th 08, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Peter Dohm

Default Anyone doing a recovering project?

"Stealth Pilot" wrote in message
On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 03:30:59 -0700 (PDT), Lou
wrote:

On Oct 10, 9:28 am, "Mike" nospam@ microsoft.com wrote:
"Lou" wrote in message

Depending on where you live EAA may have a workshop in your area from
time
to time on the subject and they also do those workshops at Oshkosh.
think
it costs a little north of $200, but it is well worth it.

Thanks Mike, but thats not why I'm looking for it. I want to see and
feel
the texture and the underside, the weight and flexibility. I want to
study
an already used piece.
Lou

If that's the case, then you should still check with your local EAA
chapter.
There will almost certainly be one or more members with some left over
material.

I have, It seems that nobody is recovering these days.
Lou

that is actually a common issue with Stits (polyfiber)
when I bought the tailwind I thought maybe 5 years and it would need
replacing.
9 years on I can discern no deterioration.

Stealth Pilot

I haven't heard much about it lately, possibly because I haven't been
hanging around in the right places, but I can recall a lot of concern
expressed years ago about structural deterioration hidden under the newer
and more durable fabrics. As I recall, the theory was that the need to
recover was also an opportunity to thoroughly inspect the underlying
structure and the newer fabrics drastically extended the time interval. The
question was whether the extended time might be excessive...

Peter