View Single Post
Old July 24th 14, 01:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D
external usenet poster

Default Cad drawing for ASW27 or ASG29 instrument panel

On Wednesday, July 23, 2014 6:47:15 PM UTC-6, wrote:
That works too. You can laser cut a template with the screw holes and center holes only and go the hole saw route. Only works for the round instruments. :-)

I tried it both ways and even with a drill press to hold the hole saw it wandered off center on me by about 0.05". I'm sure with practice I could get better but the hole saw was also slightly over size to the instruments and I literally needed to be on target to 0.002" because I had several instruments separated by the thickness of a sheet of paper or two.

CNC also works but takes more effort to get the tool offsets and cutter path programmed.

9B

The last time I did a project like this I sent the CAD file to a plastic shop who used it to laser cut a 1/8" plexiglass panel complete with mounting holes and instrument holes. IIRC the bill was $35. That let me test all the instrument installations and fittings with a panel I could see through which made detecting interference easy. Then I sent the file to a metal shop who laser cut the panel itself. That part cost $70. Everything fit perfectly.