Old May 4th 17, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fixed Wing

Default Proficiency check by a CFI for an additional Sport Pilotprivilege substitutes for a Flight Review.

On Thursday, May 4, 2017 at 10:06:07 AM UTC-4, Robert Ballou wrote:

There is still another way through the Wings program. Completion of a Wings phase counts as a flight review. The pilot wanting the glider add on can complete the required knowledge phases on-line or attend qualified seminars, then complete the required dual flights in a glider. Complete the entries on-line and the pilot can print out his flight review certificate. Tape or staple this certificate in the logbook and he/she is on the way to solo. This avenue was presented to me by a FAAST team member and DPE.

I saw that. In fact, the earlier thread here where this was discussed was one of the impetuses for me to act.

There is one big advantage of adding the SportPilot/Glider over the Wings program. The SportPilot/Glider requires the pilot to do exactly what he would be doing anyway to earn his rating whereas the Wings program has other requirements. And once the SportPilot/Glider has been earned (indeed, even during the check-ride) the pilot will be earning PIC time. With the Wings program, the pilot will be no further along.

The big disadvantage is that the SportPilot/Glider check-ride must be conducted in an aircraft which fits within the SportPilot requirements. so you need a glider as slow as the 2-33. The Wings program can be done in anything with an "N" number on it.

Stephen