Old August 30th 04, 06:41 AM
John Keeney

"George Ruch" wrote in message
"John Keeney" wrote:

"George Ruch" wrote in message
.. .

[...]
The question is would you want to do that if recognizing those sounds

and
being able to place them in your field of hearing could be the

difference
between life and death in a firefight? In that case, simple

attenuation
may be the better solution.

Yes.
You can't just arbitrarily clip the power of a wave form very much
and leave it a recognizable sound. [...]
Simply blanking out moments of excess volume would leave the
troops walking deafly around corners in to firing muzzles.

Perhaps you could substitute a tone that changed in frequency
based on the noise level to let the user know there's loud noises about.

Possible, but with everything else going on (HUDs, data links, etc.) we're
quickly entering the realm of Heinlein's powered suits from _Starship
Troopers_ (the original book, not the movie). There's a description in

the
book a system that would make a fighter pilot feel right at home.

Power is one of the two or three things that are holding the military
up in adopting exoskeletons: prototypes -or perhaps proof of concept units-
have been demonstrated and they are nothing short of amazing in what
they allow the wearer to do.

I have a copy around here somewhere. I'll dig it out when I can.

I suspect most of us in RAM have a copy lurking about some where.

Directed energy weapons are dang near here and power suits might
not be that far behind.