Old November 27th 04, 04:53 PM
Carl J. Hixon

It was the Sunday after Thanksgiving about 8-9 years ago. I had flown from
San Diego to Clovis, NM for Turkey Day with my Sister's family. [For this
trip I did a couple hours checkout in a Piper Archer. Before that, the only
plane I had ever flown was a Citabria. My former instructor, now friend,
gave me the get-home-itis speech again and pointed out that I will probably
learn more on this flight than in all of my previous training. I scoffed
at him.]

We arrived at Clovis Muni early. I didn't bother filing a flight plan. The
weather didn't sound great but didn't sound that bad either. I figured I'd
file after I took off. Heck, I was going to have a lot of time. I knew
that they were predicting severe winds for Monday when I left San Diego days
earlier...good thing it's Sunday. Packed in the wife, and departed Clovis.
After getting some altitude I started to file a VFR flight plan. The
response I got back in my headset was something like, "...Your flying where
in a what?! We have severe turbulence being reported by Heavy Aircraft..."
PAUSE Me, "Uh, okay, guess I'll head back to Clovis Muni. Cancel that
request." Then encouragement..."Well, if you are staying that far South,
all of the severe turbulence is being reported North of your course. You'd
probably be fine." Me, "Okay." So I filed my route and flew happily off
into...

Now regarding flight planning. Lets see, I need 30 minutes reserve for this
daylight flight. This Archer can go how far? ...so that means that I can
make it to Show Low for fuel.

Okay, so I'm flying with my wife across NM. It has been a *VERY* bumpy ride
pretty much the whole way! Dutifully, I am checking of my ground land marks
every 20ish NM and comparing times with my flight plan. +5 min, +10 min
+20min +30min. Hmmm...things don't seem to be going according to plan and
well, there goes my 30 minute reserve. [I'm not looking at my old chart
right now so the numbers here aren't accurate but the message is clear,
never mind that there were airports I didn't seem to notice on the chart] I
had better stop somewhere for fuel. Let me see...Alamo Navajo (3N9) is the
closest airport about 60NM behind me. Oh, look Show Low is only about 61NM
in front of me. pause Well obviously I am not going to make Show Low with
this weather, best to turn back and get fuel. I wonder how the heck I'm
going to get fuel at Alamo Navajo? Well, best to land on a runway with
power and worry about fuel later. 180 backtrack. So now I am circling over
Alamo Navajo, except I don't see a runway. 2 or 3 more circles, I still
don't see it...now WHAT? Socorro is only about 17 miles away. Both tanks
are empty.....it is now or never. look at that nice road......another
nice road.....another nice road.....Why did it get so quiet all of a
sudden? ...fuel selector switch...fuel pump....pray pray pray....Okay, if
it stops again we are landing somewhere....another nice road....Angels
singing....there it is!!!!

Now here is the perfect approach...this will be a straight in approach from
11,500 feet. Nose down pointed at the centerline...cross the numbers near
Vne. Half way down the runway...still well...not even close....go around.
Deep breath. Found my head and flew a nice pattern to a landing following
the checklist.

This is only about 20% of the story and I've only shared about 1/3 of the
stupid mistakes I made on this flight as a young pilot. When I got home I
bought my old instructor lunch, told him that he was right, and discussed
every lesson that he taught me that I apparently felt was okay to toss out
the window on this flight.

I learned a lot from that flight....