Old May 12th 04, 12:25 AM
Steve R.

"Murphy's law" wrote in message
m...
(Davdirect) wrote in message

Though never having flown a brantly, I have seen a couple in the flesh,

one
hangered at the school I used to train at, and one new one at Heli-Expo.

The
one thing that always concerned me was how low slung the rotor system

is. When
standing next to the helicopter, I had to duck to keep my head from

hitting the
blades...I can see when they are going round & round real fast as

helicopters
like to do, one could literally lose your head getting into our out of

one of
these things. Just an opinion.
Dave

This beats the common sense
Why would one walk close to & under & into a spinning rotor?
Would one jump into a dry lakebed for swimming?
One must not be jumpy
Don't lose patience & won't lose the head

Agreed! Especially in the case of something like the Brantly. I've only
seen a couple of them and like Dave, was struck (no pun intended!) by how
low the rotor was.

OTOH, as long as the pilot's sitting there with a firm hand on the cyclic
(keeping the disk level) and has eye contact with approaching / departing
ground personnel, it's not uncommon to load and unload passengers with the
rotor spinning. I'm not saying it's the safest thing in the world to do but
by my admittedly limited experience, it's pretty common.

Actually, I've heard of more people (with a bad case of rectal/cranial
inversion) sticking their heads in the tail rotor than the main rotor
although I'm sure it's been done both ways. :-o

Fly Safe,
Steve R.