Old February 7th 05, 03:04 AM
A Lieberman

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 20:36:12 -0500, Wizard of Draws wrote:

I took a short XC today after a layoff of a few months due to real life
constraints and weather. I filed IFR even though it was VFR because I wanted
to get back into the groove of communicating with ATC.
I filed for 5000 going east. On the ground, they told me it would be faster
if I took off VFR and opened my plan in the air, so I did.

Hi Jeff,

This happened to me once leaving KMBO with a ceiling of 2000. Controller
advised me that I could leave VFR and pick up my clearance when I contacted
approach. So, I departed per usual VFR rules, and when I contacted
approach, I said:

Jackson, 43 lima climbing through 700 feet out of Madison, ready to recieve
IFR clearance.

ATC came back and said, 43 Lima, cleared to Covington LA as filed, climb to
5000, squawk 1234. I think, by me saying "ready to receive clearance",
triggered the response. I read back my response, ATC responded read back
correct and off I went into the white wild yonder. I wasn't about to enter
any clouds without hearing the CRAFT response.

I was at 5500 when I finally got through since I was VFR, but all I was
given initially was a squawk code with no altitude assignment or clearance.

snip

So, was I IFR as soon as I was given a squawk and required to fly my flight
plan, or should I have waited to change from a VFR altitude to an IFR
altitude until I was given specific instructions?

I would suspect, until you hear "CRAFT" from ATC, you are still under VFR
rules.

Allen