Old February 7th 05, 01:50 PM
Roy Smith

In article ,
"Peter R." wrote:

Wizard of Draws wrote:

On the ground, they told me it would be faster
if I took off VFR and opened my plan in the air, so I did.

Hey, Jeff, since you received a lot of answers to your direct question, I
thought I'd take a different slant with your post. In response to the
above quote, consider this article:

http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/189034-1.html

This article, coupled with a "learning" experience I had last summer have
taught me to really ensure there are comfortable VFR conditions for many
miles surrounding the airport before I launch VFR expecting to pick up an
IFR clearance in the air.

Just something to consider for future flights.

The avweb article doesn't say who the pilot was talking to on the ground.
If it's FSS, I could see that happening.

On the other hand, small airports often have direct comm with ATC; the guy
you're talking to on the ground is the same guy you'll be talking to in the
air. In a situation like that, it's hard to see how things could get lost.