Old September 26th 06, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Default Mooney 201 question

Ron Natalie wrote:
Jon Kraus wrote:
We have a '79 201 and have had it for 2 years now. We now have it
configured the way we like it. It has a Garmin 430 GPS/Nav/Com, Garmin
340 audio panel, Garmin 106 indicator, Stormscope, TrafficScope, King
DME, Garmin 396 w/ XM weather and STEC 30 AP w/ altitude hold and GPS
Steer.

The STEC's with GPSS are a real hoot. I recommend them heartily.
I've got a 55X (which will also couple to the approaches).

GPSS can now be added on to most of the STEC pilots as an additional
box that sits behind the panel. What you really start paying for is
pitch. Lots of autopilots can hold an altitude but when you want to
tell it to hold 400 fpm and capture an armed altitude its expensive. We
have that in the KAP140 that drives the new G1000 182. I looked into
putting it into my Mooney and then walked away.

BTW: An autopilot in a Mooney without altitude hold is almost useless
for anything other than cruise flight. Any slight turn in a Mooney
requires back pressure. A single axis autopilot will always be dipping
as it turns, as result you have to keep your hand on the yoke the
entire time.

-Robert, CFII