Old April 15th 10, 07:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
VOR-DME[_3_]

Default Pilot error, fog

I think we’re at the point where we pretty much interchange the
terms,PAR and GCA, sort of like NDB and ADF. There is a correct way to
formulate it, but everyone knows what you’re talking about. I believe
the correct formulation today is that the GCA controller uses his
Precision Approach Radar for the approach pilots call PAR. You’ll
generally only find it at military facilities allowing civilian use.

If you want to see their eyes light up on the "Precision Approach"
question, you can also mention the ubiquitous Microwave Landing System!