Old April 23rd 05, 07:57 PM
Peter R.

Default Mountain flying knowledge required?

In late May I am planning to fly across the US, from NY to southern
California, with a return stop in Denver, CO. This will be done in a
single-engine, turbo-normalized Bonanza with on-board O2, and this is
the first time I have done this. My plan is to fly the majority of it
under IFR flight rules and at altitudes in the mid-to-upper teens (westerly
wind-depending).

When planning my flight from Palm Springs, CA, to Denver, I have decided to
avoid the high peaks in which a direct flight would result and instead
planned a flight east to Albuquerque, NM, then northeast/north to Denver
across the flat lands of Colorado, east of the mountains.

Disregarding the concept of density altitude as I am already familiar with
its affect on aircraft performance, would it still be advisable for me to
seek out some mountain flying instruction? My intention for this flight
is not to get too near the higher peaks of the Rockies, with the exception
of overflying the southern range in New Mexico.

--
Peter