Old May 11th 19, 05:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Escaping glider on the ground with stuck canopy?

Nick,

The Stemme's gear is pretty stable and the weight on the tail is high
(at least on mine), something like 135 lb IIRC.Â* While I know the Stemme
can be put on its nose, it seems to me unlikely it could flip on its
back.Â* I'm still happy to have that heavy steel tool to break the
canopy.Â* It's designed to break the thick plexiglass in a fighter.

On 5/11/2019 9:28 AM, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Dan
Over the years I flew with Glider Bob in his Stemme I asked him if we landed out if we would land gear up or gear down. Gear down in a Stemme landing off field I was always concerned about flipping forward on the nose and going over upside down.
That would suck, bad.
I witnessed Don Bell landing at Parowan years ago in a Stemme and he went off into the dirt and ended up on the nose, I often wondered what it would take for the nose to dig in and flip over on its back.

--
Dan, 5J