Old June 30th 08, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default alternate engine in Falco

On Jun 27, 7:03 am, "Morgans" wrote:
I think the Falco probably is designed with the tail areas at close to
minimum areas to maximize performance. If there is area added in front of
the center of pressure, and not compensated with changes behind the center,
you will definitely become a test pilot in another critical way.

The engine in my Jodel is 11" further forward than blueprinted
to get the balance where it was supposed to be, so the cowling is a
long one. No changes were made to the tail, and the airplane hunts
around laterally in rugh air, and when I want to sideslip, the
airplane is eager to impress me with how far sideways it can go. Drops
like a rock. The translated blueprints changes a bunch of stuff, like
going from mahogany ply to birch, adding a tailwheel insterad of a
skid, covering plywood areas with fabric, and so on. It all adds up to
a heavier airplane and most of that weight is behind the CG. Many
Jodel builders had the same problem.

Dan