Old January 21st 08, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ZZ

Default GPS interference and contests

Even though this thread is related to GPS jamming affecting contest
flight documentation, please allow me this little rant.

GPS navigation is now fully accepted in the US and there are even some
instrument approaches based upon GPS.

Now I ask, NOTAMS or not, why should it be legal for ANYONE to jam a
system which is used in air navigation? Pilots who are fortunate not to
live/fly near a military installation who jam these signals can enjoy
the system. The rest of us have to put up with unreliable/intermittent use.

Is this an issue that the AOPA and the SSA should try to address?

Paul

Bill Daniels wrote:
It seems as if GPS interference testing is becoming more widespread.
See: http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/gps/gpsno...terference.pdf

I wonder if anyone has thought of what might happen if one of these 'tests'
happened near the time an place of a sechduled contest. Basically, you
would lose all GPS systems including loggers. Back to photos? Anyone
thinking about contingencies?

Bill Daniels