Old May 3rd 04, 05:38 PM
kage

The trouble with the KNS80 is that there used to be a few VOR\DME RNAV
approaches around. But the majority of these have been de-commissioned. That
makes the KNS80 a good, but large DME, and can occasionally be used to back
up some other approach. They back up NDB approaches nicely, if close to a
VORTAC.

The price you see them selling for is exactly what they are worth.
Considerable trouble to use them (I did for years) for direct to anywhere.
Just about any GPS has greater utility, including handhelds. They take too
much panel space for what they do.

Karl
wrote in message
I just find it comical that throughout my avionics upgrade, many people
categorically gave the knee-jerk reaction to install a Garmin 430 or 530

and that the
KNS-80 was "obsolete junk." Apparently, if you don't fly behind a color,

moving-map,
IFR-certified GPS, you're plane's barely capable of a sunday afternoon

$100 hamburger.
It may be old, but is highly undervalued compared to replacing its

functionality with
the de-facto units (e.g. KX-155 w/ GS costs about 2-3x, 430 costs 8-10x as

much as a
KNS-80).

-Co-"guess I had more angst than I thought"-ry

wrote:

:
wrote:

:
: Thoughts? (besides "why bother with the KNS-80"... I like it, get over

it...
:

: I think you're that one that needs to "get over it." ;-)

* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *
* - teach what you do. *
* (Just my 20 USm$) *