Old January 13th 04, 12:56 AM
Harriet and John

Actually, I'm giving a presentation on the background of my new book and
have elected to go into Navy procurement issues in the late forties and
early fifties. The USS United States comes up, of course, and I wanted to
show that beginning with the 27C upgrades, a long progression started ending
in the present carrier configuration (which are far and beyond the USS US
1,000'/65K ton daydream). Anyway, I just got to wondering, suppose somebody
asks me what the 27C means? I once thought it might be based on CV-27, but
that was the ole CVL-27 Langley. Anyway, what does it mean?

John McIntyre

The Last Boomerang
A Novel of the Cold War
ISBN 1-4107-9876-3 (paper) -5 (cloth)
Available at 1stBooks, B&N, Amazon and ISBN.com websites or at
1-888-280-7715

"Ogden Johnson III" wrote in message
"Harriet and John" wrote:

What does SCB (as in SCB-27C - the steam catapult conversion) stand for?

Only a feather-merchant bureaucrat would need to know that. Are you
boning up to be a feather-merchant bureaucrat?

[Beware. I could tell you, but then the Bureaucratic Code would
require me to inundate you with all the paperwork involved in {what
was it you were asking after - oh, yes} SCB-27C. A fate much worse
than that required under SNM Standard Answer #1, which involves a
quick and relatively painless death.]
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo addy is burned before reading.