Old January 3rd 06, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

Default Prop Indexing

Jim Macklin wrote:
Airplanes without starters have the prop indexed for hand
propping, engines with starters have the blades on a two
bladed prop aligned with the crank throw.

Some do, some don't. A four-cylinder engine will stop with all of the pistons
very close to half-way down the bores. If the prop is aligned with the crank
throw, it will stop in a vertical position. My Maule did this, my C150 did not.

It is not possible to align a two-bladed prop with all the crank throws of a six
cylinder engine.

George Patterson
Coffee is only a way of stealing time that should by rights belong to
your slightly older self.