Old October 1st 07, 08:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mark Hansen

Default Radio Call Entering Holding

On 10/01/07 11:44, Dennis Johnson wrote:
With help from the people on this newsgroup, I'm happy to announce that I
passed my IPC!

One thing that came up on my flight was that I didn't announce that I was
entering holding and my altitude.

The 2006 AIM 5-3-3 a. 1. (f) requires reporting to ATC, whether in radar
contact or not, "The time and altitude...upon reaching a holding fix..."

However, the FAA's "Instrument Flying Handbook" FAA-H-8083-15, dated 2001,
says on page10-8 that a report entering holding is not required if in radar
contact.

Hmmm, 2001 - that's pretty old. There's a 2007 version out there. In that
section, here is what it said under the 'At all times' category:

f) The time and altitude upon reaching a holding fix
or point to which cleared

g) When leaving any assigned holding fix or point

NOTE - The reports in (f) and (g) may be omitted
by pilots of aircraft involved in instrument
training at military terminal area facilities when
radar service is being provided.

So maybe it's time to get the new book?

Obviously, they contradict each other. I told the instructor pilot that I
had chosen to go with the "Instrument Flying Handbook" version and not make
a report to ATC because it seemed to me that if I was in radar contact, the
controller would see it happening.

So, what do you think? Which FAA book is wrong? Why does the controller
need reminding that I'm entering holding when I'm in radar contact?

Thanks,
Dennis

--
Mark Hansen, PP-ASEL, Instrument Airplane, USUA Ultralight Pilot
Cal Aggie Flying Farmers