Old March 11th 08, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

Default Airparks; Living On The Beaten Path?

"WJRFlyBoy" wrote in message
On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 20:57:27 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Try Twin Oaks airport near San Antonio.
http://www.fboweb.com/fb40/airport/T94.html

It's not unsafe if you are careful.

That's what they told Aryton Senna.

I can't help feel that you are totally paranoid of flying, and do not have
a good grip of the risks and risk management of flying.

From what I have read, you are not yet a pilot, but have it in your head
that you are going to be one, and have figured out the route you are going
to take to get there.

I don't think you have enough knowledge to accurately understand what
constitutes undue risk, or what is a reasonable risk, or even how to
approach learning about flying, and how to get into it. Yet you pronounce
some things, such as this airport as overly risky to live in, or to fly
into.

It appears as though the hangars and houses are close to, or over 150 feet
from the edge of the runway, but you feel they are too close.

There are many, many airports that have structures or natural obstacles much
closer than this one. Yet, airplanes land and takeoff from these places for
many years with no incidents. Occasionally there are problems, but that is
why you buy insurance. You might even have to decide to give the airplane
to the insurance company someday, if a particularly crappy incident happens
to you - if you take up being a pilot. Planes and houses don't grow on
trees, but they are much easier to replace than people.

I suppose you could say you are at a higher risk if you live within two
miles of any airport. Is it a reasonable risk? I think so.

Are the houses in the airpark in an overly risky location? No, I don't
think so. Are they at a higher risk? Probably, but most would say they are
at a reasonable risk level.

Flying will put you at a higher risk than many other activities in your
life. The rewards outweigh the risks, to the people that stay in it. You
can choose to live your life safe and boring, or live your life rich and
full of reward, and not be afraid of the somewhat higher risks. I know what
I choose, as do most of the flying folks in this group.

Try to keep a more open mind. Try to not come across as knowing everything
on the subjects being discussed, and learn from the knowledgeable people
here. You will need to learn which posters to ignore, of course, too, but I
think you know that.

Just try not to jump to conclusions quite so quickly. I think you will get
more, and better responses, and that you will learn more, too.
--
Jim in NC