Old March 11th 08, 05:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
WJRFlyBoy

Default Airparks; Living On The Beaten Path?

Any incidents?

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 23:09:09 -0400, Orval Fairbairn wrote:

In article ,
WJRFlyBoy wrote:

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 23:05:59 -0500, Orval Fairbairn wrote:

I DO live on a residential airpark (We have about 600 planes) and it is
GREAT! The most noise comes from the yard maintenance people.

Today we had our annual Wings and Wheels event, with many formation
flybys, including 2 P-51 Mustangs, 3 SX-300s and many others.

See:
eaa288.org
http://www.sprucecreekowners.com/
http://www.scpoa.com/
http://fly-in.com/

Very nice, this is a different airpark animal. Homes aren't sitting on the
runway, nice tarmac, what's with the lake on approach?

THe lake is part of the stormwater management system and is also a water
hazard along the golf course. We have around 3000 people living at
Spruce Creek; homes are 1/3 taxiway access, 1/3 golf, 1/3 nature
preserve. Most taxiways are for airplanes only -- only 2 are combined
taxiway/street use. We have our own water/sewer system, so there are no
well/septic tank issues to deal with.

Runway is 4800x150, paved, lighted, with GPS approach.

EAA 288 mets here, in one of the guys' hangar -- we regularly get 75-100
attendees. We ahve something more than 30 RV's of various flavors
(mostly RV-8s) on the field.

When my wife and I were looking for a place to live, I bought the books
on airparks and easily separated out the places where we DIDN'T want to
live:

1.Those out in the boondocks where you have to drive an hour to get a
loaf of bread or a can of paint.

2. Those too small to defend themselves when the neighboring Philistines
start campaigning against the airpark.

3. Anything on wells/septic tanks.

4. Any where the residents don't OWN the runway.

5. No runway lights or who prohibit night operations (Lakeway comes to
mind).

6. Those with poor approaches.

7. Those with too many other restrictions (Ocean Reef comes to mind).

8. Too far from the beach. (Arizona is mostly beach, but the water is a
bit far away.)

--
Remove numbers for gmail and for God's sake it ain't "gee" either!