Old May 30th 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Default balancing act

Stu ,
I was just thinking: maybe the problem is comming from your balancer.
"Stuart & Kathryn Fields" a écrit dans le message de news:
Here's one for the pros: I was balancing my tail rotor and had it down to
0.27 ips and still had just a touch too much weight where I had added it.
So still needing to safety wire a bolt that is located in the center of
the tail rotor output shaft, I chose to safety it to a hole 180 degrees
from the weight. The safety wire was small, 0.025, so I didn't expect to
see the ips go to zero, but I hoped they would decrease maybe to 0.20.
Well it didn't. All of a sudden I had 0.9ips, so I shut down and removed
the wire and ran again. This time I got 0.5 ips. The balancer reading
did not even come close to repeating. The phase angle was also different.
In an experiment, I would run up from idle to full chat and take 4
averaged readings, come back to idle and go up to full chat again for
another 4 readings. Never repeats. Can't find anything loose in the
drive or on the blades. If I pull a set of readings at 2500, 2600 and
2700, all the readings pretty much agree with the exception of ips
increasing a bit with rpm. However if I take it to idle and come back up,
I get a different set.
Any ideas?
--
Stuart Fields