Old August 7th 08, 02:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Kobra

Default Abrupt Controller

Flyers,

I'll run this scenario past the group and see what you all think and is if
Mr. McNicoll can shed some light as well.

First, some quick background. At my airport if you are IFR and are heading,
say, southwest (as I was) it's too bad...you're clearance is to send you 22
miles north to a fix and then 15 mile east to another fix and then they will
turn you on course. Usually, if asked, you can get direct on course shortly
after take-off. If traffic permits they will clear you to go direct to your
first filed fix on course.

Ok so...I took-off on an IFR flight plan and I had just leveled off at 4000'
north bound for their fix. Next they gave me a vector of 090. After a
minute or so I asked the controller, "McGuire Approach, Cardinal 07G, any
chance direct Smyrna (ENO)?" The response I got was, "07G direct Smyrna
unable." Ok...that would be fine if that was what my busy brain heard, but
I did not hear it that way...my brain heard, "07G direct Smyrna 'when
able'." Shortly after I turned direct for ENO I got a VERY large lecture
with unneeded and unnecessary attitude. "07G I TOLD YOU STAY 090. CAN'T
YOU LISTEN OR UNDERSTAND ATC INSTRUCTIONS? WHEN I GIVE YOU A VECTOR YOU ARE
TO FOLLOW IT EXACTLY AND CAREFULLY!!"

When I explained to him that I heard him say, "...direct ENO when able." he
became even more belligerent. "I DID *NOT* SAY THAT!! YOU NEED TO LISTEN
TO ATC INSTRUCTION MORE CAREFULLY AND FOLLOW MY INSTRUCTION EXACTLY."

Whoa! Like I needed to know any of that and like anyone needs to be yelled
at over the airwaves with an attitude. This controller was a young military
male for what any of that is worth.

Granted I heard him wrong and I made a mistake. But I think the controller
needs to take some responsibility for using confusing verbiage and surely it
was unprofessional to lay me out like that. This reminds me of how a
mid-air occurred in LA because a new controller took time to admonish a GA
pilot for a couple minutes while a commercial plane and a Piper collided
right in front of him on his screen.

So my question to Steve McNicoll is...is that standard verbiage to say,
"...direct Smyrna 'unable'??. 'cause I'm here to tell ya that, that can be
EASILY confused with 'direct Smyrna 'when able'. What's your thoughts on
this and did he use proper language or did he just use poor phraseology?

Kobra