Old May 11th 07, 03:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
chris[_1_]

Default A hot start question

On May 11, 2:45 pm, Scott Skylane wrote:
chris wrote:

/snip/

Are we saying the injection system leaks after the engine is shut
down?? And is that dribbling from the injectors what causes
flooding??

Cheers

Chris

Chris,

That is *precisely* what we are saying! Now, the subject of how to best
re-start said hot injected Lycoming is on par with the greatest
political and/or religeous discussions of the ages, but here's my 0
cents worth:

Since we are, in fact, presented with a flooded engine, per se, the idea
that one should turn "on" the boost pump during this procedure, thus
shoving *more* fuel past the leaky flow divider and in to the cylinders,
is counter-productive. When the engine was last shut down, the throttle
was set at a nice idle RPM. LEAVE IT THERE, and leave the mixture in
cutoff when you start to crank. As the engine begins to fire, advance
the mixture to full, then back to "ground lean". If, after running, the
engine begins to falter, THATS when the boost pump may be required to
purge vapor out of the lines. This procedure produces nice, smooth hot
starts, with none of that 3000
RPM-panicky-grab-the-throttle-quick-before-we-go-flying-into-the-next-tiedo*wn-row
BS that a lot of procedures seem to produce. IMHO, YMMV, yada yada...

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane

That makes sense to me!! I had wondered how it all works, and now I
think that since I understand it a lot better, I am in a better
position to know what to do.. Since I began flying injected engines I
so far have not had a engine that wouldn't start when started
according to the book, but the time will come!!!