Old October 24th 05, 06:57 PM
Newps

Default Why would someone choose to fly VFR on top?

Andrew Gideon wrote:
Newps wrote:

As to your question you would handle it
like any opther lost comm, that's why you were cleared to a point,
that's the point you will go to and then pick an approach and land, and
because there's no filed clearance you go right to the VOR and then
directly to whatever approach you want.

Perhaps I misunderstood, but I thought the VOR not near the destination
airport.

In his particular example the VOR is very close, certainly in approach
controls airspace.

If a clearance is to an airport, I understand the "pick an
approach" ...um... approach. But it's when the clearance limit is to a
waypoint that's not an airport (ie. some VOR somewhere) that leaves me
puzzled. Recall that there's no specification within "the system" as to
the final destination in that case.

Obviously, the first/best course is to maintain VFR. But if the VOR (at the
assigned altitude) is not VMC (despite the expectation/hope that led to the
request), then what?

Pick an approach and land. And do it now, we are holding up everybody
else while you figure out what to do.