Old December 28th 05, 11:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default ID Large lit ground object in KY/TN?

In article .com, John Clonts wrote:
I'd guess you were looking at the Green River Correctional
Complex in Central City, KY, about 45 miles NW of Bowling Green.

Google-Earth confirms that!

Coordinates please? I looked at Central City and didn't see anything
such as Tony describes...

I do.

Go to: http://maps.google.com
Enter as search terms: green river correctional complex, central city, ky
Click on 'Search'
Site is flagged as point 'A'
Zoom in a few levels (2 or 3)

It's NE of the city. Pretend you're looking at a pentagon that's also
pointing NE.

One of the two 'top' sides of the pentagon is surrounded by a road; that
accounts for lighting along that side. The other top side appears to be
surrounded by water, and is probably why there were not a continuous
unbroken string of lights there.

Google Maps reports the Lat/Lon (of what I think is the entrance to the
property or the road that leads to it?) as 37.30 deg N, 87.12 deg W.

-Dan