Old November 17th 18, 03:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default LiFePO4 chargers

kinsell wrote on 11/13/2018 9:18 PM:
scinating videos on YouTube.

However, "safer" isn't actually the same as "safe", LFP's are quite
capable of burning, despite what the scholarly articles say.* There have
been a number of fires, particularly when they're used as starter
batteries.* High charge rates and very high discharge rates seem to
cause problems, as homebuilders of small power planes have discovered.
There was also that LFP battery fire in an EB-28 in Finland this summer.

-Dave

Dave, if you look around youtube long enough, you will find that a AAA battery
can make a fire. Certainly a 12V lead-acid has enough juice to do that if
circumstances are right. The overwhelming evidence of many years of usage of
LiFePo4 chemistry in glider batteries suggests that they are as safe as the old
gel-cells. Give progress a chance, I'm not saying be a Progressive.
Herb

If you come across a YouTube video of an AAA battery filling a cockpit with toxic
smoke, you be sure to post the link, OK?

Meanwhile, this is the sort of progress I can live without:

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/comm...-fires.102016/

I did not see any indication the burning battery had a BMS. Some builders put in
the "starter" LiFe batteries that do not have a BMS, so perhaps that is the reason
the battery burned. I think LiFe batteries from the usual suppliers (Bienno, K2,
Stark - for example) with a BMS, used for instrument batteries, and charged with
the recommended charger are as safe as a comparable capacity SLA.