Old June 5th 05, 05:36 AM
Jay Honeck

All the controller cares about is your speed. So he wants to know if
you are a "Cherokee" (Warrior, Arrow, ....) or a LearJet or a heavy.
That tells him about times and congestion problems, his job.

Well, they care enough about the speed differences between a Warrior and a
Dakota that they changed them all from PA-28s to P28As and P28Bs
respectively.

Right. A Pathfinder/Dakota cruises more than 20% faster than a Cherokee
140.

Which is why, when I've asked the tower controllers at Cedar Rapids, they
told me that they appreciated knowing that we're a "Dakota" rather than a
"Cherokee" -- as this knowledge enables them to scoot us around their little
chessboard a little faster. (Although, I suspect, 90% of the time it really
doesn't matter...)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA