Old May 7th 06, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default IFR GPS replace DME / ADF?

An IFR certifed GPS can replace a NDB or DME waypoint or fix, but you can
not use it to do an NDB or DME arc approach. That being said, there will
probably be aGPS approach similar to the NDB approach at whatever airport
you go to.
The GARMIN 430/530/480 can get you a distance to a waypoint that will be
very close to a DME distance (remember DME measures slant height, GPS
measures lateral distance)

A NON IFR GPS can NOT legaly replace a NDB or DME fix.

RNAV's are still used. There are a lot of installed KNS-80's out there

Hope that helps.
Ian

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I'm new to IFR and just learning... if our plane doesn't have an ADF or
a DME... can we legally use, say a garmin 430, to do a NDB approach?
Also, can these garmin 430/480/530 units get you the DME?

Also, are RNAVs still used often?

Thanks,

-dr