Old June 14th 04, 05:31 PM
nice guy

I believe you're refering to the Douglas B-26 Invader, also known as the JD.
These were used as tow aircraft by the VU squadrons. Look it up on Google
for more information.

"RPT217" wrote in message
I am researching a feature on a target tow squadron that was based at

Glenview
Naval Air Station near Chicago, Illinois in July 1945. They flew Martin

B-26
bombers and towed targets over the shoreline of Lake Michigan for gunners

from
Great Lakes Naval Training Center.

I was in boot camp at the time, and observed several near-misses during

gunnery
practice where the aircraft was nearly hit by badly aimed fire. During

our
training, we would joke that those pilots should all receive combat pay

for
extra-hazardous duty.

From a historical perspective, I think this would make an interesting

article.
Any information will be appreciated. I would especially like to interview

some
of the pilots if they can be located.

Richard T.