Old August 31st 04, 05:48 AM
Kevin Brooks

"Peter Stickney" wrote in message

snip

Actually, on studying the 1940 Presidential campaign, the number of
Midwestern Progressives (Then the highly Liberal Wing of teh
Democratic Party) threw in with the Germans. Many accepted campaign
conributions (To the tune of about 5 Million 1940 Dollars), and quite
a few actually made it into the Abwehr's books as Paid Agents.
(Including John L. Louis, head of the United Mine Workers)

That last bit is interesting, if not surprising. My Dad is a WWII vet, and
to this day the mere mention of John L. Lewis will invariably instigate a
long succession of unprintable words. John L. not only tried to sell us out
before we got into the war, but he threatened to strike while it was still
ongoing--striking for better wages at a time when the millions of men in
uniform were making a fraction of what the average UMW miner was bringing
home each week.

Brooks

--
Pete Stickney