Old August 21st 04, 05:31 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 15:04:52 GMT, Paul Folbrecht
wrote:

I do believe that it was my responsibility to hold short of 21 even
though no explicit instruction had been given, though I'm not 100% sure
of that (but in the future I'll be damn sure to in similar
circumstances!). And, unless the controller deliberately wanted to make
me believe nothing was wrong for some reason, I believe she either
didn't notice I was over the hold (this intersection is pretty close to
the tower) or didn't care. Her voice indicated nothing out of the
ordinary, as I said. I know they don't 'have to' ask you to call the
tower or let you know they're making a report, though.

You need to review the AIM regarding taxi clearances. In particular:

4-3-18. Taxiing
6. In the absence of holding instructions, a clearance to "taxi to" any
point other than an assigned takeoff runway is a clearance to cross ALL
runways that intersect the taxi route to that point.
(emphasis mine)

While some may argue that clearance to cross each and every runway should
be given by ATC, at least in the US, that is NOT the case.

--ron