Old August 31st 04, 10:00 AM
Keith Willshaw

"Presidente Alcazar" wrote in
message ...
On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 08:47:13 -0400, (Peter
Stickney) wrote:

Well, some of that comes down to the exigencies of supply politics,
e.g. the end of lend-lease and the termination of any substantive
dollar-procurement programmes due to lack of dollars. I think the
Seafire was an underestimated carrier fighter, but if I'd had the
option in late 1945 I would have kept the FAA on (certainly) Hellcats
and (possibly) Corsairs.

Trouble is the double decked hangar ships (Implacable and Indefatigable)
didnt have the hangar clearance to operate Corsairs and there were
problems getting enough Hellcats. In fact the performance of the
Seafires with the BPF in the fleet defence abd CAP role was quite good with
landing accidents being much reduced as they gained experience.

Keith