Old June 3rd 04, 04:42 PM
Michael

Bob Moore wrote
There used to be takeoff minimums where a turn was required as soon as
possible after takeoff for obstacle avoidance reasons. Anyone know if
any such still exist or if they have all been phased out?

I don't belive that "they" have moved the hill at St. Maarten yet. :-)

They refers to the takeoff minimums based on an early turn. Of course
the obstacle necessitating the procedure will still be there, but it's
likely that the procedure/minimums will have changed.

For example, at LVJ there is a 1200 ft tower 3-4 miles off the
departure end of Rwy 14, a bit right of centerline. There used to be
a published procedure that called for an early left turn to avoid it,
and takeoff mins were reasonable. Now the procedure calls for a
straight climb to 1300, and mins are 1500-3 unless you can make 490
fpnm.

My interest is in finding airports where the departure procedure still
calls for an early turn and the minimums are set accordingly.

Michael