Old July 22nd 07, 01:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Default Short list wanted - popular 4-seat single engine land

Don't know about the Cirrus, but the DA-40 has a useful load that sucks
compared to a Piper Archer or Dakota.

EVERYTHING has a crappy useful load compared to a Dakota. Well,
except a Cherokee Six -- same plane with a longer body. (Or a Cessna
206, which does the same thing but with a WAY bigger engine.)

We've got the Pathfinder, Tuno, which is what the Dakota evolved
from. We also have four people in our family, and the Pathfinder is
one of the few planes that can carry an honest four adults, with 150
pounds of luggage AND full fuel.

1460 pounds is a wonderful thing when you're talking useful load.
And 84 gallons means that you don't have to stop for fuel as often.
We've flown ours in the desert Southwest, without difficulties. With
235 horsepower, density altitudes aren't quite as critical.

My suggestion: Go to Oshkosh in the next 7 days. You'll be able to
check out every make and model of GA aircraft that has ever been
made. Talking and reading about them simply can't compare to kicking
the tires and touching the wings.

We leave in 90 minutes....

:-)
--