Old September 22nd 11, 02:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_2_]

Default Pilot Events Mandated by IGC?

On Sep 21, 5:19*pm, ContestID67 wrote:
I just read the following in the Cambridge 302 manual (http://www.cambridge-aero.com/manuals/302_v3.pdf- page 7)

* * * * * * "...used to log Pilot EVents (PEV) in the flight log as
mandated by the IGC."

I have never heard that Pilot Event logging was *MANDATED* by the
IGC.

I searched and found the following athttp://www.fai.org/gliding/IGC_approved_frs;

* * * * * "Functions such as Pilot Event (PEV) ... may also be
incorporated."

I then found athttp://www.fai.org/gliding/system/files/igc_agenda2009_8_6_1_Event_Ma...
the following;

* * * * * * "March 6, 2009 - It is Proposed: To eliminate from the
Technical Specifications for IGC-Approved
* * * * * * *GNSS Flight Recorders the requirement to provide a Pilot
Event Marker."

So can I assume that the PEV is no longer required to be performed by
the pilot? *Certainly none of my badge applications have been
challenged for not having PEV's. * When and why was it required?

Thanks, John

The idea, I think, was to make gaggling and leeching harder. You had
to push the PEV to declare your "real" start, and could not start
again for 15 minutes after that. Then you could sneak off and do a
fake start, the leeches follow and then you go back for a real start.
Since the rest of the IGC rules make gaggling a necessity, you might
see why it wasn't so popular, to say nothing of the complexity.

John Ccochrane