Old May 17th 17, 11:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

Default LX Zeus and PowerFlarm -- Communication Problem

On Wed, 17 May 2017 14:50:36 -0700, C-FFKQ (42) wrote:

There's a "Flarm" port on the back of the Zeus, but it's not RJ-45, like
the port on the PF (wasn't planning on using the DB-9 harness that came
with the PF, no idea where to wire it to the Zeus). However, the CAN
port on the Zeus IS RJ-45, so I connected the PF to the Zeus using one
of my cat5e LAN cables. The PF powers up, updates and the file it
writes out tells me everything is ok.

Unfortunately, it seems that there's no communication between the Zeus
and the PF. I'm at home, not near airways, so no targets to see. But I
can check the Zeus system status for GPS function. No joy I've left
my panel outside with the GPS antenna having a clear view of the sky for
half an hour -- plenty of time to get a signal lock. Still nothing on
the Zeus.

Anyone have any ideas?

Questions you need to work out answers for:

1) Does the PF also use an RJ-45 for a CAB-bus connection?

2) Is your CAT5e cable straight of cross-over?

It might be either because CAT5 can be wired either way and
modern switches are generally capable of figuring out whether
the cable is crossed or not and adjusting its internal pin usage.

3) Do your manuals have pin-outs for both the PF and Zeus sockets.

This web page shows CAN-bus pinouts for a variety of connectors including
RJ45 - http://www.interfacebus.com/Can_Bus_...or_Pinout.html

Hopefully answering the questions and using that page that will get you
sorted out: there's enough info in it to let you make up a CAN-bus cable
for almost any set of connectors. Hope you have a DVM for wire tracing
and soldering iron: you don't need an RJ45 crimp because, if you need to
make up a cable you can chop one connector off the RJ45 and solder the
other, non-RJ45, connector onto that end.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK