Old December 12th 09, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.aerobatics
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Default Dumb question maybe re Stall Turn

"Surreyrider" wrote in message
Need someone to settle an argument. I do not fly, so your answers need
to be in laymans terms and hopefully put simply.
I've occasionally watched aerobatic displays and seen a maneouver
called a stall turn. Now, I more or less understand how this works,
but there comes a point, just before the aircraft "turns around" where
it is momentarily stationary in space, pointing directly to the sky..
Impressive stuff. Now, here's the crux: My mate reckons the pilot
could hold the aircraft in this "head-up" attitude almost indefinately
as the prop is acting like a helicopter's rotor and it could
effectively hover in this attitude. I, however, maintain that the
aircraft would begin to spin on it's axis if held in this attitude.for
more than a second or two.

Can anybody tell me who is correct?

Thanks all,

Roy

You need two things to make it work. More power (thrust) than 99.9% of the
(full scale) aircraft out there, and ailerons that extend all the way to
the wing root to keep it from rolling.

It's done by a few airshow pilots and is reasonably common in the radio
control aircraft crowd. You could probably find some RC examples on youtube
with minimal effort.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com