Old August 19th 17, 12:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Flying during a Solar Eclipse

Article from FreeFlight many years ago....

MAYBE A WORLD RECORD, SORT OF

May 10, 1994 - Keystone Gliderport, Julian Pennsylvania

Its was a beautiful day for soaring but not a ridge day. I had
declared a 750 km out and return task which I thought might be
possible if the thermals were wonderful. As it turned out they
were a bit too wonderful and it was already over developing with
some very large rain squalls blocking my way when I was only 50
km out. I tried to find a way around them but new ones seemed to
develop and block each plan I came up with. Finally I gave up,
climbed as high as I could (about 7000 AGL) and started back to
the gliderport.

Meanwhile back at the field, Bernie Palfreeman of MSC had his
take off delayed by a squall but was now in the air with about
ten Americans, flying locally. It was coming up to 12 noon and when
I got a chance I took a quick glance at the sun when it was
behind enough cloud so that I could see the disk. Sure enough, as
predicted, there was a big bite out of top right side. By 1:20 pm
there was only a sliver of sun left, and although it was very
light out the ground looked dull as if it were in the shade. We
all agreed it was cooling off. By now the sky was clear of cloud
and the whole dozen of us were in two or three gaggles scratching
for lift. We hung on until about 2 pm but then, within about 15
minutes, we all landed. Shot down by an eclipse of the sun - a
world record for sure!

(Dave Noyes of Columbus Ohio also flew out of Keystone gliderport
that day in his Ventus motorglider. He started earlier and beat
the squalls in his run to the south west, away from the path of
the eclipse. At the height of the eclipse he was past Cumberland,
about 200 km away. He said he had a period of scratching but
managed to hang on without using his motor. He was our only
survivor. He arrived back at Keystone several hours after we were
all shot down).

Walter Weir