Old December 3rd 17, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Default Bungee Material for Landing Gear and Engine Bay Doors

Some notes about bungees...

There's a lot of poor quality bungee, with terrible life and no UV resistance. Junk I bought on the road to secure a loose trailer safety chain disintegrated within weeks. Be careful where you source.

Stretch to 100% will result in reduced life. If possible avoid it (not always possible replacing an existing bungee).

To reduce %stretch its sometimes possible to fit a longer expansion track. I've used poly tubing bent with some heat as a track (bungee runs smoothly inside poly track); tubing bent as necessary to fit inside engine bay and give bungee nice length (with heat, take care to stretch and avoid wrinkling tube). This wasn't a '26 however.

Hope that helps!
Best Regards, Dave