Old July 10th 03, 10:30 PM
Brent Bigler

I wonder sometimes whether certain commercial flight routes might not be
replaced by some sort of tunneling system. Imagine a trip from New York to
London in, say, 90 minutes traveling on a maglev in a partial-vacuum tube
beneath the sea. The vacuum would seem to allow very high speeds because of
reduced wind resistance. I suppose we have the technology to do it even now,
although the cost would be high.

...then again, our transport methods haven't changed much since the jet,
even as the pace of technological change in other areas has quickened. Maybe
these are all, uh, pipe dreams...

--Brent

"Justin Maas" wrote in message
Hey all,

Now that I'm starting to fly more automated aircraft, I'm getting
worried about where it's all going. Right now, I really enjoy programming
in the flight and "flipping switches," as it's actually very satisfying.
Most avionics in the works are keeping the pilots in the loop, but how

long
will it be before professional pilots are just like the men that used to

be
in an elevator (or even out of the cockpit)? I'd like to think that

cockpit
automation will stay the way it is, but I'd like to hear insight from
others.

Blue Skies!
Justin

PS - Getting back to real flying on the 20th, when I'll be flying amphib
caravans from Wisc. to central Canada!