Old May 24th 05, 09:07 PM
Jim Fisher

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
"Jim Fisher" wrote in message
. ..
[...]
" Pearson (some brainiac computer expert guy) predicted that it would be
possible to build a fully conscious computer with superhuman levels of
intelligence as early as 2020.

People have been saying AI is 10 or 20 years away since the late 70's (at
least).

And those predictions were correct. We do have "AI" and it's been here for
at least 10 years or so in one form or another.

A "conscious" computer, though. That's light years beyond "AI."
Consciousness entails self-preservation ("fear") and all the other emotional
baggage we humans deal with every day. That's much different than the fuzzy
logic AI that causes a plane to respond with a synthesized "pull up!" when
the plane "knows" it's not landing.

Machine consciousness is not "dumb" nor "scary." We humes will take it for
granted in the not too distant future. That's just mind blowing.

--
Jim Fisher