Old April 22nd 06, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Default Question for the Turbine pilots.

The indication of a hot start is when the TOT (turbine outlet temp) runs
away and goes far too high. Internally its casued when the flameball does
not form correctly as a result of too much fuel, too high of a pre-existing
temperature, or incorrect/sufficient airflow. It requires an inspection and
if he melted enough stuff it could cost around $90,000.

Bart

"601XL Builder" wrDOTgiacona@coxDOTnet wrote in message
We have a doctor who just bought a 206 and after less than a month the
chopper has been sent for a new engine. I heard he had a "Hot Start" and
burned out the engine.

While I'm both fixed wing and helicopter certified I have zero experience
with jets so what did he do? And what's it gonna cost him?