Old February 12th 17, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Turnpoint placement to support safer Tasking

On Sunday, February 12, 2017 at 10:13:20 AM UTC-5, Tango Eight wrote:
On Saturday, February 11, 2017 at 1:34:29 PM UTC-5, Steve Koerner wrote:
I agree with the original poster. Yes, more turnpoints are needed in contest databases. We are way past the point in time that we should have to support legacy computers with limited memory at the expense of everyone's safety. It is important that the angles be large.

Sean makes a very good point also. Let's get rid of the chaos inside the circles. Sean's concern seems to relate mostly to MAT tasks. I'd say the bigger worry is the chaos inside our area tasks. It occurs to me that there is a simple solution to that. Let's make the scored turning point the point at which you enter the turn area. This would still allow a large latitude of total distance, though a bit less than the turn-anywhere approach that exists in the present rules. If it's thought that we need to get back to the same amount of latitude (though I don't think we do) then the maximum circle might be allwed to be 35 miles or 40 miles. With everyone turning on the the circumference, we will all be able to fully anticipate the actions of their compadres and everyone nearby will assuredly be going the same direction around the task. It is far safer when we're all going the same direction.

"Chaos"? That's Sean playing an ******* marketing game where you plant seeds of doubt in the customer's mind about your competition with a nice, catchy, powerful key word. This is the same guy that claims that US start rules are dangerous. I suggest we give him all the attention he deserves here... which is "none".

AAT is our best and most flexible task. Works as is.

-Evan Ludeman / T8

Alternate facts.
So sad.
UH